Did you ever watch Popeye as a child and see how much he loved spinach? And how it made him really strong? Well spinach IS good for your body – and it’s also great for your skin! It is packed with antioxidants and minerals including protein, iron, calcium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Niacin, Phosphorus, Thiamin, Potassium, and Magnesium, just to name a few. Read along to learn some other amazing information on Spinach!
1. UV Ray Protection – Spinach contains Vitamin B which protects the skin from dangerous UV rays that cause sun damage, skin cancer, and premature aging of the skin.
2. Vegetable of Youth – Studies have shown that eating spinach regularly will keep you looking younger longer! It slows down age-related degeneration and stops premature aging of the skin.
3. Clear Complexion – Rich in Vitamin K and Folate, spinach helps to give you clear skin, minimizing acne, bruising on the skin, and dark circles.
4. Keep it Raw – The best way to consume spinach is by eating it raw, as opposed to cooking it. Cooking the spinach can kill some very valuable nutrients in the vegetable and that is never good. Add spinach to a salad, on a sandwich, on sliced tomatoes with mozzarella cheese and basil, on top of entrees, blended into a smoothie, etc.
5. The Most Beneficial Way to Enjoy Spinach – In a smoothie. Why you ask? Well, apparently simply chewing the leafy green vegetable does not allow us to break down the vegetable well enough. The spinach’s cell walls need to be broken down completely for so the vital/essential enzymes can be released and absorbed into the body appropriately. The best way to accomplish this is by blending it in a blender and enjoying it in a smoothie.
6. Glowing Skin – Spinach will add a beautiful glow to your skin! Thanks to all the amazing antioxidants and nutrients in spinach, it will even out your complexion and leave your skin looking radiant.
A Delicious Smoothie Recipe
1 cup of clean water
1 cup of ice cubes
2 cups of organic spinach
6 organic strawberries (no stems)
2 stalks organic celery
Freshly-squeezed juice from an organic lemon
1 ripe medium-sized banana
Blend the water and spinach then add in the other ingredients slowly until well blended in the blender. Feel free to add in almond butter, peanut butter, or whatever else you like for added benefits. Enjoy a smoothie every morning and your body and skin will thank you for it!